today’s useless fact:
The average college student spends as much time using their computers for online conversation, or “chatting”, as they do for studying.
add blogging random, useless facts to the list too:
1. Who are you?
Satish, a 20-something nutcase, with waaaay too much work that needs doing. Oh, and believes he’s not completely stupid.
2. What are the 3 most important things everyone should know about you?
I can be very very caustic.
I hate falling ill, and acting stupid. (Both happen to me often enough not to be called rare.)
I love English. In any form.
3. When you aren’t filling out 5,000 question surveys like this one what are you doing?
Finding surveys to fill out. And not having any life at all.
4. List your classes in school from the ones you like the most to the ones you like the least (or if you are out of school, think of the classes you did like and didn’t like at the time).
5. What is your biggest goal for this year?
Actually be in a PhD program sometime in the next 12 months.
6. Where will you be in 5 years?
Still here, hopefully graduating from my PhD. And not have had a life for the last 5 years.
7. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I never want to grow up. Look mommy, I can fly !
8. Are you more child-like or childish?
I want to say child-like, but I just like being a kid. Where’d my jellybeans go ?
9. What is the last thing you said out loud?
“Have a good day.”Good day. Ting-ting-ta-ting. Britannia !
10. What song comes closest to how you feel about your life?
“Ironic” by Alanis Morissette.
11. Have you ever taken martial arts classes?
People used to think I was the top student in one. I loved Bruce Lee then.
I’ve got to stop saying things that make me sound gay.
12. Does your life tend to get better or worse or does it just stay the same?
Life sucks. Period. Whether its getting better or worse, depends on whether its better or worse now.
13. Does time really heal all wounds?
You’d think so. They’re just festering.
14. How do you handle a rainy day?
I don’t go out enough to play in the puddles. Used to ensure at least one walk in the rain when in Bombay.
15. Which is worse – losing your luggage or having to sort out tangled holiday lights?
Losing one’s luggage, I think. Nearly lost my laptop that way. And I hadn’t even got it then.
16. How is your relationship with your parents?
I love them, and they’ve always been there for me. I’m trying to ensure the latter is mutual.
Will you miss them when they are gone?
I currently can’t imagine life without them. Lets not go there, ok ?
17. Do you tend to be aware of what is going on around you?
At some level. Don’t always focus on everything though.
18. What is the truest thing that you know?
Life sucks, and that you shouldn’t focus on that fact.
19. What do you want your life to be like, as the future takes clearer shape?
I prefer my future to be hazy now. I want to have done so many things done at the end of it all; that I don’t know where to start. So, I barely start anything. I’ll get there eventually though.
20. Have you ever been given a second chance?
In many things, yes. Did I deserve them ? No.
21. Are you more of a giver or a taker?
I try to be a giver. Don’t think that I’ve been a success at that though.
22. Do you make your decisions with an open heart?
Open heart surgery during decisions sounds horribly risky.
If you mean, metaphorically.. no.
23. What is the most physically painful thing that has ever happened to you?
I wouldn’t remember. I suppress pain of any kind.
24. What is the most emotionally painful thing that has ever happened to you?
Read above. The past is dead, as are many other things.
25. Who have you hugged today?
No one. People call the cops if you randomly hug them on the road. And ban hugging, remember ?
26. Who has done something today to show they care about you?
My mom called to ensure that I’m better from my cold.
27. Do you have a lot to learn?
Hell yeah. I don’t know where to start.
28. If you could learn how to do three things just by wishing and not by working what would they be?
A How to answer such questions and not seem like a selfish prick.
B Truly explore my potential.
C Get rich.
29. Which do you remember the longest: what other people say, what other people do or how other people make you feel?
How other people make me feel. I get that from what they say and do.
30. What are the key ingredients to having a good relationship?
Communication, trust, respect, love, and all the other things they talk about in relationship books. I’ve never really read them.
31. What 3 things do you want to do before you die?
C Travel everywhere I want to go
32. What three things would you want to die to avoid doing?
A One of
B them has
C Been done.
33. Is there a cause you believe in more than any other cause?
I used to. Then I became a cynic.
34. What does each decade make you think of:
30’s: The Great American Depression.
40’s: World Wars.
50’s: Dad is now two.
60’s:Dad’s in IIT.
80’s:I’m on the damn planet.
90’s:Back in India.
2000-(so far):Graduating in every way.
35. Which decade do you feel the most special connection to and why?
The 80’s maybe ? Life was more fun as a small kid.
36. What is your favorite oldie/classic rock song?
“Comfortably Numb” by Pink Floyd.
37. If you could say any sentence to the president of the USA what would it be?
38. What’s your favorite TV channel to watch in the middle of the night?
I hate TV. I usually just flip if forced to watch.
39. What Disney villain are you the most like and why?
John Silver. Loved the blob.
40. Have you ever been a girl scout/boy scout?
RSP in school. Doesn’t get classified as either.
41. If you were traveling to another continent would you rather fly or take a boat?
Fly if alone. Boat if I don’t mind blowing all my cash on a cruise.
42. Why is the sky blue during the day and black at night?
It’s actually a deep fluoroscent green at all times. You just can’t see that plane of the sky. Mere mortal.
43. What does your name mean?
In Sanskrit – “Sati”-“eesh” is ‘Lord of Sati’; “eesh” being the form of ‘Husband’. It is a name of ‘Shiva’ hence, the most powerful of the Triumvirate of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.
44. Would you rather explore the deeps of the ocean or outer space?
Oceans, anyday. I think space will probably fold back in such a way, that you’d end up there anyway.
45. Word association
46. If you could meet any person who is dead and famous who would you want it to be?
Arthur Conan Doyle.
47. What if you could meet anyone alive and famous?
48. Is there a movie that you love so much you could watch it everyday?
There are a few, really. Off the top of my head, Fight Club.
49. You are going to be stuck in an elevator for a week. What do you bring to do?
The complete collected works of Wodehouse. And a complete set of tools to actually get out sooner.