The first link post of 2012 is going to end up being a list of items from a while back.. which I didn’t know where to post.
- A ridiculously awesome archive of funky cinema trends, mostly discovered thanks to the way it showcased movie posters: eye reflections, yellow stands for indie, action means standing with your back to the viewer.. etc.
- Speaking of movies, even movie titles are a kind of art.
- A bunch of movie predictions/situations are going to start happening soon. Wonder how that will pan out.
- Facebook definitely wants you bringing content from other places into their network, populating it more.. making it more personalized. But they don’t want you advertising/using it reciprocally within the competition.
- Journaling everything you do is the new ‘in’ thing. Made easier with the Jawbone Up (review).
- This recently discovered blog is a great read for marrying cricket history, stats, opinions, and reports. Highly recommended.
- Another classic site worth checking for your weekly dose of tech WTF. Recent favorites include: 1, 2.
- This opinion is getting stronger and stronger within the tech community. I wonder how long before the masses take this stance: “That’s maybe my biggest problem with Google. They release something, and I no longer have any faith that it’s going to be any good. It’s hard to get excited about a company like that. It’s the same reason why it’s hard to get excited when Microsoft and Yahoo release new things. The track record just isn’t there any more. The faith is gone.“
- Another trend: the techworld getting frustrated that Android is a runaway freight train that Google may never be able to control.. mostly coz its taking over the market. You always get frustrated with those moving into a monopolizing position.
- Perfect rebuttal: “Apple denies that its correct name is Apple, Inc. The correct name of Respondent is Apple Inc.“
- Well put by Freakonomics: on the 99%, on education.
- Sometimes, boys beat men. Even if it’s General Patton.
- Even during WWII, some people played secret Santa. In case you want to know how that happened in 140 chars or less.. it’s being “live-tweeted” 72 years late.
- Ridiculously awesome videos: jellybeans, back to the original Johnny B Goode, water physics.
- There is a seedy underbelly to everything. Even Disney cruises.
- You can always find the married couples around you… for e.g.”If you see a young or an old couple jarring, checking, and thwarting each other, differing in opinion before the opinion is expressed; eternally anticipating and breaking the thread of each other’s discourse, yet using kind words, like honey-bubbles floating on vinegar, which soon are overwhelmed by the preponderance of the fluid […]“
- Fun little easter egg in ICS (that I have not checked out yet).
- This is a mantra I’m going to adopt: “You should use whatever works for you. And I no longer have the patience or hubris to convince you what that should be. All I can offer is one data point: what I use, and how it works for me.“
- Bollywood loves kabootars. Big surprise (also, another blog worth following).
- Video game marathons appear awesome to photo-document. G is a prime candidate, once she gets her hooks into a game she finishes it in 5 days flat. Yes, I know. I’m a lucky bastard.
- Google Street View is art. And you have to be really artistic to find these examples.
- Comic book covers. Loopy GIFs. ‘Nuff said.
- There are toys. And then the *real* toys. #3 is my favorite.
- Did you know how easy it is to track planes in the sky? Me neither. Right now there’s a Canjet and a couple of Jetblues somewhere above me.
- μP I and II. How I hated you. But how much I use you. Never forget: the Intel 4004.
What better way to end than..